What is arthritis? In the simplest of terms, arthritis is joint inflammation.
This can cause pain, stiffness, swelling, and tenderness in the joints.
What are some facts about arthritis?
- 1 in 7 people will be diagnosed with arthritis at some point in their lives
- men, women, and children suffer from arthritis
- according to the CDC, 67 million adults will have doctor-diagnosed arthritis by the year 2030
- each year, 9,500 people die in the US from arthritis
- 60% of people with arthritis are women
What causes arthritis?This is actually more complicated. With the many forms of arthritis, some are caused by elevated uric acid levels, some by infections, while other factors may include genetics, environment and lifestyle.
How can green tea help?Studies have shown that EGCG, a compound found only in green tea may help in treating, or even preventing arthritis. EGCG has also been shown to prevent cartilage from breaking down, helping to preserve joint health.
Green tea may also prevent the production of certain inflammatory chemicals, including those which cause arthritis.
According to scientists at the University of Michigan Medical School, EGCG may also hold many benefits in the treatment of Rheumatoid Arthritis, by blocking certain chemical reactions linked to this particular type of arthritis.
What else can you do?Stay active and watch your weight are the two most important.
Maintaining an appropriate body weight has been shown to reduce the risk of osteoarthritis and gout, as well as minimizing the stress on your joints.