Whether cancer is a concern for you or a reality, making the right food choices is paramount in the fight.
Many causes of cancer are genetic or environmental, but you can put the odds in your favor.
Healthy eating is a great start.
Let’s take a look at a few items you can add to your diet in order to put up the best fight possible.
1. Dark Green Vegetables: Chard, Broccoli, Spinach, Kale, etc. These vegetables contain a litany of anti-cancer nutrients. Beta-carotene, lutein, zeaxanthin, and folate are all powerful antioxidants which can block early cancer development.
2. Beans and Lentils: There are many ways which legumes may reduce the risk of cancer. Just one serving provides 20% of the recommended daily amount of folate and fiber. Dietary fiber acts in many ways to lower cancer risk, including weight management. Obesity increases the risk of several types of cancer. Beans and peas also contain a variety of phytochemicals known for anti-cancer properties.
3. Green Tea: EGCG, the antioxidant found only in green tea is about the best warrior you have in the cancer battle. The catechins found in green tea can stunt the growth of these cells from the beginning.
4. Herbs and Spices: Take your pick. A spoonful of oregano has the antioxidant levels of two cups of red grapes. Garlic has strong antibacterial properties. Cayenne pepper contains capsaicin, which sets everything on fire, melting cancer cells.
5. Berries: Delicious, juicy, sweet, and packed with anti-cancer power. Berries are excellent sources of phytochemicals, which seem to help block cancer development.
What should you avoid?
Avoid processed foods, excess animal fats, and excessive alcohol consumption.
Cancer is responsible for over a half million deaths each year. Stack the odds in your favor.
“Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food.” – Hippocrates